We are here with the 10 Asia Cup facts you must know before the most awaited tournament. The most awaited Asia Cup 2018 is about to start and will go as long as 28 September in UAE.
This year the tournament is back to its original format and will be played in ODI format and not in the T2o format like the last edition.
Sports Patrika is the Best Sports Website in India and we will bring Asia Cup 2018 latest news.
The six teams that are taking part in this competition are India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and the hosts UAE. The 5 teams were automatically selected while UAE received an entry via a qualifying tournament. The venue for the Asia Cup 2018 was originally supposed to be in India but later BCCI decided to let ECB host the tournament.
Prior to Asia Cup 2018, here are the 10 facts to make you familiar with the tournament.
1. India has prevailed over the opponents the maximum number of times in Asia Cup history. India has won 6 Asia Cup tournaments closely followed by Sri Lanka who has won 4. Pakistan comes at third place with 2 Asia Cup victories.
2. Considered as the ‘God of Cricket’ by many the Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar has a very specific memory associated with Asia Cup. In the 2012 edition of the Asia Cup, he completed his record 100th century in a match against Bangladesh and ended the long wait for everyone in the country and cricket world.
3. Bangladesh hosted the two Asia Cup editions concurrently. They hosted the Asia Cup 2016 and Asia Cup 2012 as well. Both times Bangladesh pulled a miracle and managed to reach in the finals but lost unfortunately. In 2012 against Pakistan just by 2 runs.
4. Asia Cup tournaments started in 1984 and since then it has been scheduled to happen every two years. But Asia Cup 2018 will be the 14th edition of the tournament as the tournaments were sometimes banished or delayed due to political reasons at many times.
5. India has won the tournament 6 times but in two occassions India were not the part of the tournament. In 1986 when Indian diplomatic relations with Sri Lanka were not so good and the other time in 1993 when India and Pakistan were amidst collision. Other teams have missed once or twice while Sri Lanka remained the only team to have appeared in every edition of the tournament.
6. In Asia Cup 2012, Virat Kohli showed his true class and gathered 357 runs in just 3 matches. He had two hundreds and one fifty to his name.
7. Tamim Iqbal is the only Bangladeshi batsman to score four consecutive fifties in Asia Cup 2012.
8. Asia Cup tournaments are traditionally played in the ODI format. But the Asia Cup 2016 in Bangladesh was played in T20 format where Bangladesh lost to India in the finals by 8 wickets. Asia Cup 2018 will be played in 50 over format.
9. Former Sri Lankan legend Sanath Jayasuriya is the highest run scorer in the Asia Cup with 1075 runs to his name followed closely by Sachin Tendulkar with 971 runs.
10. Hong Kong in 2004 and United Arab Emirates in 2008, 2016, 2018 have been the other countries who have participated in the Asia Cup over the years apart from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan and now Afghanistan.